Lidia Law Firm, P.C.
Estate Planning & Business Law

Trusts Archives

Remember your estate plan when you divorce

If you and your spouse are among the Oklahoma couples who took the time to create a solid estate plan, you should feel good about that. However, if you and your spouse are now embarking on a divorce, your plan will need renewed attention as certainly the decisions you made as a couple will no longer be the ones you may want to make as a single person.

What are signs of undue influence?

When Oklahoma residents write their will or handle other estate matters, it is generally believed that they are getting across the exact message they want. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case. We at Lidia Law Firm, P.C., will explain undue influence and its potential signs.

Can you leave assets to charity?

As a resident of Oklahoma, you may want to pass on a portion or the entirety of your assets to charity after your passing. But is it possible to do that? Fortunately for you, this is why charitable trusts exist.

Are you making succession plans for your business?

Oklahoma business owners like you have more than the average resident to worry about when it comes to drafting trusts, wills, or other end-of-life plans. This is because you have your business to worry about, too. How can you ensure that it passes down in the way that you want it to?

Wills, trusts and blended families

Many people in Oklahoma find themselves contemplating a new marriage after having been married at least once before. This can and should be a very happy experience and a reason for celebration. However, it is also a time for people to be practical and address some important matters. Among these matters are their wishes for their estates after they die.

Protect your disabled child with a special needs trust

As an Oklahoma parent of a child with special needs, you may have to provide care for that child long after you might, had he or she not had a disability, and your estate planning needs, too, involve special considerations. Chances are, you need to make accommodations to ensure that your child will receive the care he or she needs once you are no longer around and able to provide it, and at Lidia Law Firm, we understand that special needs trusts can help you accomplish this.

How and why should I create a pet trust?

Like any pet owner in Oklahoma, you consider your pets a part of the family. However, as you may know, the courts do not have the same opinion. Animals are legally considered property. As such, you cannot simply leave money or property to your pets in your will, but you can take several actions to ensure your pets do not become homeless if you die before them or become incapacitated.

Updating your trust after a divorce

When a marriage is brought to an end, life can be tumultuous in many ways. Custody, property division and other family law matters can be incredibly challenging, but there are other responsibilities and stressors that may arise. For example, someone who has a trust may need to make changes to their estate plan following the end of their marriage. For some people, this can be difficult because the divorce process is stressful and time-consuming in and of itself. However, by taking care of these issues promptly, moving forward and finding a sense of peace may be easier.

How do trustee fees compare to will executor fees?

You probably already know by now that wills and trusts have different roles to play, and while every situation is different, you may find it helpful to incorporate each into your estate plan in Oklahoma. Even if you believe that a trust may be potentially beneficial in your particular circumstances, you may be reluctant to start one because of the cost involved. If that is the case, it may surprise you to know that, according to Bankrate, the fees to engage a professional trustee for your estate are lower than the fees paid to a professional executor of a will. 

What is a special needs trust?

If you are the parent of an Oklahoma special needs child, you undoubtedly do everything in your power to see to it that your child receives the care and services (s)he needs. But you also likewise worry about who will care for your child if (s)he outlives you and if the money will be there to provide that care once you are no longer around.

FindLaw Network

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy